What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the toughest but also the most profitable part of successful marketing as listed by Microsoft. In short, it is a process of improving the technical factors as well as the content of a website so that it gets listed higher in search results of Google, Bing, or any other search engine for various phrases or keywords that internet users explore every day.
To make this more clear, how do you find the best model if you are going to buy a new TV or a smartphone? Obviously, we do Google search and click on anything that appears on top of the search results. Well, there are millions of websites providing information about smartphones and there is a spot for only the 10 best sites to appear on the front page of search results. Out of them, only one website can appear on the #1 top position of Google that gets the highest clicks from internet users.
Business owners such as dealers, hotel business, flights, and so many more industries have made SEO a top priority for their brands as they get more exposure and customers through Google. But the thing is that all those businesses that are appearing on the front page of Google are pouring a huge amount of money in SEO experts so that they can beat their competitors, appear on the first page of Google, and get more sales.
Benefits of SEO
All those sites that are appearing on hotspot position of Google did not reach there by accident, as there are millions of competitors. All that is made possible because of SEO. Whereas, other people’s sites are found somewhere on the second, fourth, or even the last page of Google. Well, here are some of the most exciting and cool advantages of SEO.
Traffic means visitors and customers in our world. Once you setup a site, put content on it, and optimize it for search engines, you don’t need to pay for advertisements anymore as all the readers, and customers come via search engines. In advertising, we regularly need to invest money depending on the contract or deal made with advertising agencies. Once you are out of budget or no longer want to pay, they stop promoting your business.
However, in SEO, all the investments are made only once prior to getting your site ranked. It is not that SEO is 100% free, it still requires us to purchase some tools and invest in content writers/creators, etc. But all of that is required only when you want to update or add new content to your site. Yes, fixing technical errors and optimizing pages requires a charge, but that is extremely cheap as compared to advertisement fees.
Mostly the digital form of advertisements charges you money every time a user watches your ad. When you advertise on other platforms such as radio, TV, or social media (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc.) everyone will watch your ads, even those who are not interested in them. Your money could be wasted if those ads are displayed to the wrong people who want nothing to do with your company, product, or brand. These days the overflow of ads is also annoying people.
That is not the case with SEO. Your content will be displayed to highly specific targetted and interested people who are in need of something. They could be searching for some piece of information or want to purchase anything, which is highly profitable if they find your website for the search term.
Facts About SEO
SEO might seem cool stuff but here are some facts you need to know about SEO before hiring anyone for the task.
- Google receives about 63,000 searches every second, i.e. an approximate 60,000+ people use Google every second to find items. There are 5 billion-plus searches happening on Google every day, which is growing every day.
- Every search engines have their own unique algorithms that make use of programmatic bots and crawlers that analyze a site in order to change their position on results pages.
- Because of the algorithm and competition, the page one ranking is not achieved overnight. It takes at least 6 to 12 months for a project to get success in SEO.
- Algorithms are almost updated every day by Google, i.e. SEO is evolving and becoming tough day by day.
- There are more than 200+ Google ranking factors that they never reveal. One can learn about them by testing their sites after running experiments on their projects.
- Our job is not to beat the algorithm but to beat the competition by making changes to our sites and improving them.
- A new site takes longer to rank because it is still in the testing phase by Google, as per their ‘Sandbox’ algorithm.
- Content & technical factors optimization, i.e. On-Page SEO, covers only 25% of the work efforts, and the rest 75% is all about Off-page SEO, i.e. promotion.
- According to a heatmap released by Google, pages that appear in the top 5 results get 75% of the total clicks.
- Image SEO plays a major role in ranking pages whereas ‘Structured Data’ only helps in displaying rich results.
- Pages that make users stay on them for a longer period of time perform better in SEO, which means more research and investment on the content is a must.
SEO Questions Answered
1. How do I find my SEO expert?
There are plenty of methods to find your preferred SEO expert in Nepal. The first option is to explore a freelancing site such as Fiverr. Similarly, there are plenty of Facebook groups made for the SEO community where you can find hundreds of people offering such services. You can also hire me as your SEO expert.
2. How much does it cost to hire a SEO specialist?
The price of SEO work depends upon the size of the project and competition. Currently, the average market price is $600 (approx. Rs. 69,000 NPR) per month for a normal site with 10-20 pages and target keywords. If the KD is higher and more efforts are needed, such as there are some industries where we need to hire more creators and developers, then the prices would go as higher as $2000 to $12000 per month for competing with big brands. This is approximately equal to Rs. 2,32,000 to Rs. 13,93,000 NPR per month for bigger projects as it takes huge investment and time to work on such sites.
3. What should an SEO expert know?
Before hiring any SEO expert, you must know their years of experience, and proven track record of past work. Record is not only about ranking success but also about the data showing the tasks that they have performed over the years. They must have an understanding of how overall SEO marketing works and a blueprint for competing with an extremely difficult keyword. A perfect SEO expert does not always target low competition and long-tail keywords but they should be savvy to work on keywords of any level. In addition to that, their communication skill should be at the highest standards and they should know the big picture of converting a small site into a heavy brand
.4. Is it worth hiring an SEO expert?
Yes. A SEO expert with proven record and experience can increase your search presence, thus bringing, more visitors that could potentially turn into buyers and customers for your company.